The main vehicle for missionary training is a 9-month residency (think internship). There is no quitting school/work or moving to an unfamiliar place for the time of the residency.
Although the term we use for participants is "resident," these men and women will not be living together.
Since the purpose of Forge is to create missionaries, we encourage the residents to continue relationships with their neighbors, co-workers, and communities. A resident’s every day life serves as the learning lab or context for missionary formation.
The Forge Dallas training helps to mature each participant as a disciple of Jesus Christ through personal relationships and action-reflection learning in a combination of one-on-one and collaborative learning environments.
A RESIDENT COULD BE SOMEONE WHO...
- Is a stay at home mom to a state worker, a grandparent to a college student, a pastor to a part-time barista
- Burns to see lives transformed outside the walls of the local church
- Desires to be trained to understand, live, and communicate the missional way of life
- Wants to be a revolutionary Christ follower right here in Dallas
- Feels a sense of calling, but doesn't necessarily feel called to conventional vocational ministry or seminary
AFTER THE RESIDENCY, A FORGE DALLAS RESIDENT WILL HAVE:
- An understanding of the Bible as God’s story of mission.
- An understanding of the Church as the community shaped by God’s mission.
- An understanding of Discipleship as complete surrender to God and his mission.
- An understanding of a paradigm that now sees their neighbors not just as prospects to evangelize, but as people recklessly loved by God.
- An understanding of the local context and culture as the place of God’s mission.
- Imagination to creatively innovate expressions of the above understandings.
- Above all, a motivation to personally live out God’s mission and lead others to do the same.
Every 4-6 weeks all of Forge Dallas (residents, coaches and leadership) will gather for prayer, sharing stories, and face-to-face connection.
Residents will also be required to attend a weekend conference (Friday-Saturday) 3 times during the 9-month residency taught by leading mission practitioners and scholars.
The goal of Forge Dallas is for Residents to remain in their jobs, schooling, etc. since your context is crucial for learning and living the 9-months of formation. Think of Forge Dallas as a learning lab for mission, in the context God has placed you RIGHT NOW.
Residents are also highly encouraged to remain faithful to their local church throughout the 9-month residency. Sharing stories of God's mission in the neighborhood, within their local church, spreads the "missional DNA" vital for local church communities.
The Forge Dallas residency has a cost of $1,500. This pays for: tuition, meals and lodging for gatherings, books/training materials, etc.
Here's how we break that down:
$150 deposit is due when application is submitted
$150 per month for the remaining 9 months
Residents are encouraged to bring others on this 9-month journey with them by raising these funds, much like any other short-term missions trip. To break this down even further, one would just need 10 people at $15/month!
We do not want finances to be the main reason why people cannot participate. Scholarships and financial aid will be available by request as resources are available. To discuss scholarship opportunities please contact the Forge Dallas leadership through the CONNECT page.